Header Ads

  • Breaking News

    Weight loss: 'Why are we doing this? We are crazy?

    Weight loss:

    "Jesus, why are we doing this? Are we crazy?" This is scary, "shouted a woman in front of me as I clung to a tree to save my life as the platform swayed from side to side in the wind. But shortly after he was followed by shouts of laughter when he shouted: "This is the most fun I've seen."

    His words echoed the battle that was being fought in my head between fearing that I would face certain death when I looked at the ground 14 meters below, logically knowing that I was wearing a harness and was perfectly safe, and this really was going to be a lot of fun

    But like the swinging trunk that I had to tread to stagger from side to side in front of me, I made a long time to return to the sweet embrace of my comfort zone. When I finally took a step forward and overcame the obstacle course, the feeling of joy and achievement surpassed everyone else.

    A couple of weeks ago, after doing my first indoor climbing session, I felt more confident leaving my comfort zone, so I signed up to do a zip line and an obstacle course in the treetops. But my bravery had faded when I arrived at Zipit Forest Adventures in Tibradden Wood (pine forest) in the mountains of Dublin, south of Dublin, on a soft, dry Sunday morning.

    My palms began to sweat as I watched the platforms high up in the trees. I began to doubt my decision to make this challenge, questioning whether I should have waited until I was more fit or reach my target weight (I have approximately 2 (13kg) to lose and I have lost 3 ½ (22kg) so far).

    Hard
    My thoughts were interrupted by luck when the instructors Eoin and Steven came to adjust to my harness, gave me gloves and took the group to the safety circuit. They emphasized that safety was paramount in all activities and in the way that the double clip system meant that it would always be subject to all activities.

    At first I found it a little clipped, but I got used quickly. Some children took the initiative and showed me how it was done easily.

    Steven explains that there are five circuits, ranging from 1 meter to 20 meters from the ground, and we had approximately four hours to cover them. Each circuit becomes more challenging and higher, and includes loose ropes, swinging steps, rope bridges, rock climbing and zipper lining.

    Clearly, I had the expression that someone was guided to the guillotine, so he tells me stories that show the resistance of the cables and explains how I would increase my confidence when completing each course.

    Once we finish the security and practice, it's time to leave on our own and tackle the next circuit. We are reminded that the instructors are on the ground, ready to give support and help if someone gets stuck. It is the first time I do something like that and it is discouraging, but also very exciting. I climb to the first platform and instantly I put butterflies in my stomach. It is a strange experience to convince myself to walk from the edge of the platform to a cable, step or unstable or moving rope, and trust that I could do it. It was exciting every time I completed an obstacle course and it gave me a renewed energy to go further.

    Then I arrived at the Tarzan jump. Looking at it from a distance, I imagined that I would glide gracefully through the air and throw myself gently into the cargo net and climb effortlessly to the platform. The reality was a little different. Fear seized me again. I doubted I could stand my own weight holding the rope and did not want to leave the platform.

    The longer I was there, the more reluctant I became as I thought about the different ways I could injure myself (none was realistic) if it went wrong. Someone shouted: "Stop thinking too much, you'll be fine". It was all I needed when I managed to turn (more fall) and hit my body awkwardly in the cargo net. It was not pretty, but it was done. My adrenaline was pumping and the instructors were right: I gained more confidence by "surviving" each obstacle.

    At the end of the circuit was the zip line reward, which was incredibly fun and it was worth all the effort to get there.

    The third circuit was the white field, more challenging and higher, and it took about 45 minutes to arrive. Then came the second most difficult course, the blue circuit, which I had ruled out trying that day before starting, but after a chat with an instructor, I decided to try it. I had accomplished much more than I thought I was capable of and was ready to push me farther.

    Scary
    This circuit was much higher, with more than 14.5 m in length and more, and the first challenge of climbing a pendant escalator was scary. I finally started paying attention to the tip of using my legs more because my arms were getting tired at this stage. As soon as it was time to climb it, my mind told me again that I was facing death, but I went ahead because going back to that stage was even more terrifying. The wind rose and the platforms on some obstacles began to sway a little. Everything seemed more intimidating at this point.

    Then I got to snowboard in the skies. Every time I put my foot on it, I was convinced that I was going to fall. Finally, with some encouragement and persuasion, I came across. I used to think that I did not have a great balance, but I learned that when I feel that my life depends on it, my balance is good. I was exhausted and exalted when I went down the last course of the day.

    It was a mental and physical challenge, and the feeling of achievement and freedom after facing my fears when I finished was fantastic. It was one of my favorite things I've done in a long time. I did not get to the highest level (red), I had the BMX bike from tree to tree and the base jump, but I know I will.

    It was an intense workout, but I did not think about that while I was doing it. I need to work harder to develop my superior strength, but I did not need to be an athlete to complete the circuits.

    It taught me to trust more in myself and that my body can achieve much more than I think. I lost only half a pound that week, but what I gained from the challenge was worth much more than losing weight.

    A Step Towards Personalized And Automated Smart Homes.

    Automated Smart Homes: The development of automated systems that track occupants and adapt to their preferences is the next important st...